Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Family and Father's Day

The month of June is supposed to be a time for me to focus on my family. When planning what each month would be I made a month to focus on my friendships and thought long and hard about adding a month for my family. Normally this would be an easy decision. However, I'm insanely lucky to have such a close family. I mean, how many people can say that both their immediate and extended family on both sides is so close? 

My mom, brother, and sister are my favorite people in the world. Both sets of my grandparents are incredibly loving and have taught me so many life lessons. My aunts and uncles push me to be the best that I can and never skip an opportunity to give me a hard time about something. My cousins are seriously the coolest. The ones who are close in age to me have been some of my best friends while growing up. The ones older than me have been role models while teaching me how to have a blast at the same time. Their kids have taught me that I don't need kids of my own for a very, VERY, long time. 

So my big dilemma when starting this project was if I really needed to devote one of my few 12 months to family. If things are good, why try and change them? My family is the key to my happiness. People are always leaving while family stays. Mainly because they can't leave. Trust me, I've tried to disown them on a few occasions....doesn't work. 

Long rambling conclusion....of course my family needs a month. 

So we'll start with Father's Day.

Some people may think that Father's Day may be super sad for us. Out of all the holidays and individual days that can be depressing, this is not one of them. That's like giving me a bag of chocolate chip cookies on National Oreo Day and asking if I'm sad that I don't have an Oreo to eat. Sure, I'd really love to have an Oreo, but I have a WHOLE BAG of chocolate chip cookies. Who am I to complain? That's how Father's Day is to me. Sure, I'd love for my dad to be here, but I have a WHOLE FLOCK of men who have helped shape me into the woman I am today. Who am I to complain? It's a day to celebrate them!

So this Father's Day weekend I went to St. Louis to spend the weekend with my family. And it was fantastic.

I GOT A TAN. Okay I got burnt. But guess what, by this weekend it will be a tan. 

I got to see my little cousins. They're seriously adorable. One of them spent a good 2 minutes trying to explain to me how my cousins Tara and Tiffany were sisters. And then she told me that she thought that she would maybe be my age when she gets older. Too awesome. 

We had an awesome meal on Sunday to celebrate all of the fathers in our family. It was delicious. 

Then we watched the NBA Finals. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't really like the NBA. I'd much rather watch college basketball. I don't know what it is, but something about the NBA just gets to me and bothers me. Either way, the Heat lost and that's all I cared about because I REALLY don't like Lebron. MJ forever.

All in all, this weekend was great and my family continues to make me happy. 

Later, gators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment