Sunday, December 21, 2014

Doors are closing, more are opening.

College is a weird time, man. Lots of things happen which change and shape your life. So many opportunities present themselves, and you can either take them or leave them.

The Andi two years ago would have left them. The Andi today is happily taking them.

At this point in my college career, I have no idea what career path I truly want to go down. I also don't know where I want to live when I'm older. Pretty much the only thing that I do know is that I want to make a difference in the world.

This semester I had the privilege of hearing the amazing Jane Goodall speak at Mizzou. During her spectacular speech, she said something that really spoke to me. Now, is she the only person to have ever said this? Nah. But the way she said it just really impacted me. She said, "every single one of us makes a difference every day, and it's our choice what kind of difference we make".

I may not know much about life, and I may not know the details of what goes on in our world, but I know that there are people out there who need help and need to be spoken for.

I'm not going to go into the details of what new changes might be happening in my life plans, because we all know how quickly things change in my life.

However, I just know that God didn't put me here to sit in a 9:00-5:00 job and live in mid-Missouri for the rest of my life. He has bigger plans for me and I know that I am going to follow where he leads me.

To start this off I took some baby steps and am leaving the country for the next 6 months to study abroad. You know, just trying to be logical. Obviously the first steps to reaching out from an entire life in one place is to travel thousands of miles away for an extended period of time....right?

I'm not going to say that I'm not a little nervous. I mean, I don't know anybody where I am going. But it will be an amazing adventure and learning experience. I'm going to meet new people, try new things, and most importantly, break free from my comfort zone.

It's going to be really weird and sad to leave this semester. To say that this is poor timing would be an understatement. I've met new people and will miss them. I'll be missing a ton of friends' graduations. Some of my friends will be moving away from Missouri after they graduate. So basically, after I leave in January, I'll be missing out on the end of a lot of amazing college memories....which is kind of a bummer. However......I'll be in another country and this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I'll never again in my life be able to go be a college student in another country. This will be so cool.

I feel like this next step in my life is the perfect beginning to the end of my year doing the Happiness Project. After working on improving my outlook on life for an entire year, it's definitely time for a change. And this is going to be the perfect one.

God puts people in your life for a reason, and these past few years I believe that he has surrounded me with the perfect group of people.

When I was in high school I always heard that you would meet your best friends in college. However, I never really believed this. I always thought to myself that I had the best friends ever from home and that wouldn't change. Once I got to college I realized that I was right, but wrong at the same time. I have kept my awesome relationships from home but gained some best friends here.

As you may have saw from my pictures posted, my road in Phi Lamb has come to an end. I decided to stop a year early because of study abroad and an insanely busy class schedule next year. It was this organization which brought me to my best friends in college and for that, I am forever grateful. Phi Lamb helped me grow immensely in my relationship with Christ. There are so many amazing girls here who love each other so much. If I traveled back in time to freshman year, I would join again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment