Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 1: Prague, Munich and Salzburg

I want to start this off by mentioning that I am writing this as I watch the sun set over Italy's countryside. Talk about seeing God. This is too beautiful to take pictures.

So here's the update of my first week of traveling! I am absolutely in love with this world we get to live on.

First stop was Prague. This is a really low cost place to visit.....aka it was fabulous. We visited the castle and toured it. We went to the top of a tower and looked out over a beautiful view. We went through a mirror maze. Drank some beer brewed by monks - real good. Went to an ice bar - real cold. Then I lost my phone and ID. Classic. I have chatted with many police officers and embassies, and I officially will get these back....someday....somehow...I have no idea.

Then we went on over to Munich. We drank a lot of beer here...duh. We toured the city on bikes here and it was so fun! And easier. And faster. I am a fan of bikes. We saw: the palace, the Olympic grounds, a German market - SO MUCH FANTASTIC FOOD...and beer - and finally the English Gardens. We also ate at some good restaurants. The last stop in Germany was a visit to a concentration camp. I don't really have much that I can put into words about this experience. You learn about this in school, but seeing where tragedy like this happened in person is just too much to explain. It was overwhelming. Such an awful period in history that I can't understand how humans can take part in such evil.

Finally, we visited Salzburg. What a beautiful city!!! The mountains are absolutely breathtaking. We took a cable car to the top of a mountain and hiked the rest of the way up. I stood in two countries at once. No big deal. We also visited: the catacombs, the fortress, the Salzburg museum and Mozart's birthplace. We also toured Stiegl brewery. Got some tasting drinks. Good day. Then we relaxed and laid by the river on a slope for a few hours while the sun started to go down.

We took a night train from Austria to Italy. That was a neat experience. Unfortunately, a train has still not taken me to Hogwarts. I don't get it.

I am learning so much and loving every second of this crazy trip. I can't wait to see Emma and my family in the next two weeks!

But for now, time to go eat some pasta and drink some wine in Italy. I am in Heaven. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment