Wednesday, August 20, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Sometimes bad things happen. Sometimes people get sick. Sometimes people have ALS.

Don't know what ALS is? Go to www.alsa.org

This website tells you everything you need to know about ALS. If you want to know specific definitions then go to http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

Feeling kinda lazy and not wanting to go and do the research? Don't worry, happens to me all the time when it comes to school. Basically, ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) is a neurodegenerative disease that affects a person's nerve cells in their brain and spinal cord. And it's a progressive disease, which means it continues to get worse. 

There are so many terrible diseases in this world that don't have cures, and ALS is one of them. 

Before the Ice Bucket Challenge took over social media, how many people actually knew what ALS was or even took the time to look it up? No shame, it's just not a common disease that people really pay attention to. 

But you know what's really cool? The Ice Bucket Challenge. Yesterday, I was nominated for the challenge by my cousin, and I decided to accept it. Now, I would be lying if before I was nominated I said that I wasn't one of the classic people saying how the challenge was everywhere and taking over social media. I also had negative thoughts about how it would be much more beneficial to just donate money rather than pouring a bucket of ice water over your head. 

However, I accepted the challenge for my super cool Uncle Bill, who unfortunately has ALS. Then when I got home I did some research on how the Ice Bucket Challenge was actually helping the cause. And it just makes me so happy.

http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-082014.html

Take a look at that link. It gives some amazing information.

During this time period last year, $1.9 million was donated to ALS research. So far during this time period of the Ice Bucket Challenge this year, there has been $31.5 million in donations to ALS research. THAT IS AMAZING, GUYS. 

Yes, to find cures to any disease you must have money. However, you must also have awareness. Before the Ice Bucket Challenge, ALS wasn't a disease that people talked about. Now that's all anybody is talking about. It doesn't matter if that person is talking about ALS saying how annoying the Ice Bucket Challenge is or if they are talking about ALS saying how happy they are for the sudden increase in awareness. That person is talking. 

All through high school we were always doing fundraisers for breast cancer. We continue to have Pink Panther night during basketball season that always raises so much money and is always such a success. However, even though we had so many donations and supporters for our event, I never once gave a donation during that time period. I always wore the pink shirts and my pink socks and played with that pink basketball, but I never donated money. Even though I was participating in the events held, I still wasn't donating. But I still think that is okay because I was spreading awareness along with my fellow teammates. 

Now what I don't understand is how I thought that this Ice Bucket Challenge was any different. I was one of the people saying it would make more sense to just donate. However, I believe now that I was wrong. Granted, I still think that donating money is a key part and everybody should do it. 

Besides the fact that these videos have taken over your social media accounts and for a short time we won't be able to complain about so and so's political rant, or too many baby pictures, or constant drama, we're spreading awareness. 

So maybe instead of retweeting that tweet making fun of the challenge or talking bad about it to your friends, we should all try and educate ourselves and have a change of heart like I did for this cool movement. I mean, this is making history, guys. In 20 years we'll be able to look back on this and realize how much of a difference we have made. 

So this month for me is about doing the unexpected. Well I nominate all of you to do the unexpected and do some research on ALS. And next time you want to question somebody for their motives regarding the challenge, just be happy that one more person might learn what ALS is. And remember all of the people fighting this terrible disease each day.

We love you, Uncle Bill!


Throwback to a long long time ago during the days of Baby Sara. (Really only the Blackwell family will probably get the Baby Sara reference, but by golly she's always good for a few laughs.)

You can make a donation here to help find a cure for this awful disease. www.alsa.org/donate


No comments:

Post a Comment