Monday, September 1, 2014

What Phi Lamb Means To Me

IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN! Football is back and the world is a much better place. Oh, and Phi Lamb is starting.

Sigma Phi Lambda is a sorority that strives to glorify God by providing a source of fellowship for Christian college women who seek to know His person, His will, and His ways. It is a non-denominational organization of sisters where fellowship with our most high God is fostered by growth in unity with one another. Through weekly meetings that include worship, encouragement, fellowship, and accountability. Sigma Phi Lambda is not presently, nor will ever be Pan-Hellenic. 

This is from Facebook. Not sorry for using copy/paste.

My whole life I wanted to go to a school out of state. I never even thought about wanting to attend Mizzou. However, things change and I ended up starting freshman year out at the University that I now call home.

But I didn't think of Mizzou as home until my spring semester of freshman year. Fall semester I really didn't enjoy my time at The Zou. I wanted to be somewhere else and I just wasn't happy. 

THEN I joined Phi Lamb that spring and from then on out Mizzou has been home. Here's why this sorority means so much to me:

1. My relationship with Christ. I have always been involved with my church and I grew up in a Christian home. But I didn't know how to have a personal relationship with Him until I joined Phi Lamb. I have grown so much during the 1.5 years that I have been in this sorority and I wouldn't trade that for any out of state school experience. 

2. Sisterhood. I mean, Phi Lamb is still a classic sorority on many levels. I have met my best friends from college here and I can't imagine never having met them. These girls are cool, funny, inspiring, kind, generous, lovely, and just totally rad. When we're all together there is just so much laughter and fun and it's pretty neat.

3. Cool shirts. Coming from Centralia where our school colors were black and white, my wardrobe was pretty basic. Every tshirt that I owned was either black, white, or the dreaded grey. Then I joined Phi Lamb and I HAVE SO MANY COLORS NOW. And they're pretty. And there are no panther figures on any of them. Not that I don't love my Centralia shirts, but let's be real, they're all the exact same.

4. Service events. Serving others is my passion in life. I just want to help as many people as I can in the short amount of time that God is giving me on this planet. Service is a huge part of Phi Lamb and we serve others in so many different and cool ways. It's really cool to serve with a group of your best friends doing something fun and helpful to society. Like this past spring we took part in Caring for Columbia and some of us picked up trash along the side of a road and we had a blast and I learned how to juggle rocks. Just kidding, I never could figure it out. But hey, I tried my hardest. 

Honestly, I could go on all day about why Phi Lamb is just super neat. However, I have homework to work on because school has started back up and that is just a real bummer. 

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT?!

If you're a girl and you attend the wonderful University of Missouri and are curious as to what this cool organization is all about then YOU SHOULD COME TO RECRUITMENT THIS WEEK. Seriously. It's going to be a blast. And we have free snacks. 

Guys. Free food. You never turn down free food. 

Here's our schedule for the week:

Tuesday September 2, 2014 - Friday September 5, 2014 

Tuesday 6:30pm (Eckles Hall 113): Field day with Gutter Sundaes 

Wednesday 6:30pm (Ellis Auditorium): Photo Scavenger Hunt

Thursday 6:30pm (Ellis Auditorium): Progressive Dinner

Friday 6:30pm (Ellis Auditorium): Mock meeting

Questions? Email: sistersforthelord@gmail.com
Website: philambmizzou.wordpress.com


.....yeah I used copy/paste again. Like I would actually be able to remember that schedule. I can't even remember my college address. 

I promise if you come you will have a good time. And coming to a night of recruitment doesn't mean you are signing your life away. You pick us, we don't pick you. So come check us out! We want to meet you!



No comments:

Post a Comment