Monday, April 14, 2014

Caring For Columbia

So Saturday was a fun day.

Mizzou does this super neat thing called Caring for Columbia. A TON of organizations took part in this. Phi Lamb did too. And we had a great time serving our community.

Originally Phi Lamb was all supposed to serve at Boys and Girls Club. However, after a strange mix-up, they had to cut down a lot on the volunteers at that site, causing our sorority to have to split up. After we got divided out, our group went and served for Cleaning up Columbia.

These are my beautiful sisters that I got to serve with. 

We spent our morning picking up trash along the side of one of the roads in Columbia. Although it wasn't playing with kids like we had originally planned, it was still a great opportunity. God had other plans to use us in a different way and we went with it.

It was definitely an adventure. Emma, Alli, and Courtney were playing the role of my mom telling me where I was and wasn't allowed to walk with my knee. I played the role of rebellious teenager and didn't listen to them as well as I should have. 

They were so impressed with my ability to pick up trash that they gave me A FREE CAR. Kidding. But if anybody lost their car keys they can be picked up at the lost and found....AKA the dump in a trash bag. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Emma found a skull. We stuck this bad boy on a stick on the side of the road because what else do you do with a skull? 


Alli walked down a giant hill with me so I didn't kill myself to see the creek. What a pal. Oh and the vests really bring out our eyes, don't ya think? 

The cleaning really didn't take a whole lot of time considering how many people we had with us. There were a lot more people in our group besides our Phi Lamb gals. 

It really was amazing to see how many Mizzou students wanted to give back and help make our community that much better. 

Oh and our chancellor, AKA my best friend AKA the coolest guy in Columbia, gave a speech. Made my day. He's so great. Apparently I have a slight obsession with him. Whatever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment