Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spirit Lead Me

So the month of April is all about focusing on building my relationship with Christ. I know a lot of my posts have been pretty goofy, but this one and most of the ones this month will probably be a little more serious. But I mean, I am me, so obviously I'm only capable of a certain level of seriousness. Here goes.

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in the Christianity department. I make too many mistakes to count and can maybe name 5 Bible verses off the top of my head. I'm just sharing how I am working to strengthen my relationship with Him. 

I was raised in a Christian home and have defined myself as a Christian for as long as I can remember. However, college has been the time that I have really started to feel a personal relationship with Christ. 

Specifically this semester. And it rocks my socks off. 

Joining Phi Lamb last spring I was hoping to gain a bunch of friends who were Christians and were easy to get along with. Well, clearly my expectations were reached....and passed by a mile. At first I was overwhelmed by how much these girls loved Christ. I mean, I thought I was a Christian, but I quickly realized just how much I was truly missing out on. 

So for the past year I just kinda did my own thing thinking that all of a sudden one day I would have this really cool relationship with Him like everybody else. Well, really no such luck. I mean don't get me wrong, my faith has become so much stronger just by submerging myself into this sorority. And it's been pretty sweet.

Anyways, every semester we do this neat thing called Prayer Group where you meet with a small group of girls and, well, pray for stuff. 

Well this semester my Prayer Group leader is my friend, Linnea. Shout out to her because this gal is pretty tight with Jesus. And she's taught me a lot in the short time that I've known her. At the beginning of the semester she asked us to come up with a spiritual goal that we would like to work on. I chose to have a better personal prayer life in hopes of developing a better relationship with Him. 

This started off pretty rocky for me. Mainly because if you know me, it's pretty clear that my attention span isn't too spectacular. These are some of my attempted fails:

1. Quiet time. LOL. Okay. I should have known this one wasn't going to work. It lasted a whole 3 minutes before my mind had wandered and I found myself just wandering around my bedroom throwing a ball. Fail.

2. Writing in a journal. Yeah, not so great either. I kept up with it for about a week before I decided that it wasn't quite my style. I should have known this just from my past as a kid trying to keep a diary. I've never made it past like 5 entries. 

There are a few other ones but those were the two epic fails. All of the others ended up resulting in me ultimately getting distracted and not successfully building a relationship with Him.

Then one day Linnea prompted me to try and spend time with God while I ran or did something that I got enjoyment from. This made sense to me, so I decided to give it a try. 

Coming from a small town, I have always loved being in the outdoors and observing how beautiful the scenery is. One day I decided to take a little drive by myself on some back roads and just chill with God while surrounded with His beautiful creations. DING DING DING. This one worked! And it was neat. 

Now don't call me a hippy, but all of God's creations are just so amazing and beautiful. To me, when I see them and think about how awesome our God is for creating them, I'm just in awe. Whether it's just looking at the sun set, or taking a walk on a trail, or seeing the mountains, or driving back roads, His creations are everywhere. And that's where I feel His presence the most. 

So mission accomplished. I've finally found something that allows me to focus on Him and build a better relationship. And I'm pleased to say it's working. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment