Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Break 2014!

As my friends took of for PCB and Destin, I hopped on a plane to Pennsylvania. For my Happiness Project one of my main goals is to do the unexpected. Well, I would say going to a town smaller than Centralia is definitely unexpected. And I loved it.

I spent the week with this cool kid and his parents. Chase moved away to Pennsylvania from Centralia after 8th grade. So he showed me around where he spent his high school years. 


He took me to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon (yes it's a thing and yes it's gorgeous). I guess you could say canyons are kinda my thing considering I went to the Grand Canyon last year on spring break too. So if any of y'all know of more canyons that are just dying to be viewed, hook a sista up. 




Just like most of God's amazing creations, pictures really just don't do it justice. 

Everywhere we went was an insane view. I didn't take pictures just because it wasn't the same as actually seeing it. I can only imagine how breathtaking everything is in the summer and fall. 



Chase was an excellent photographer. He even made sure my crutches weren't in any of the pictures. Thanks, man. 

Speaking of crutches, I would highly recommend never getting hurt before you plan on travelling. And if you do, I recommend not thinking that you can make it all the way across Detroit's airport by yourself. Holy smokes if you can learn one thing from my mistake just agree to have someone push you in a wheelchair. Your pride isn't worth it. Unless you're wanting to get a killer arm workout in and be drenched in sweat by the time you reach your terminal. Then totally go for it. 


Oh and sorry, fellas. Met a man up in PA. He's perfect. Never talks. Great listener. True love, man. LOL okay I'm done. (Clarification: this is a statue and a complete joke. My wonderful cousin texted me asking if I actually found a boyfriend. LOL no.)

We also went to a restaurant in town where Mrs. Barnes said that it was necessary for me to try my first real Cheese Steak. The waiter taught me how to order one properly (one wit wiz). And it was delicious.  


Oh and obviously I'm super attractive when I eat. Another reason why my PA boyfriend is perfect. No judgement. HAHA okay I'm really done now.

We went and saw Divergent and Noah while I was up there. They were both fantastic movies! I found it odd that a town smaller than Centralia had their own movie theater. Step up your game, C-Town. Come on. 

Fun fact: I absolutely love museums. I don't care if it is a museum of priceless art or a museum of dirt, seeing some sort of history in person is so fascinating. And, it makes me HAPPY. So when Mrs. Barnes said that we were going to go to the Corning Museum of Glass my interest was captured.

And the museum was awesome. Literally every type of glass you can imagine. Eye glasses, science equipment, glass art, blown glass, glass artifacts, and even a little exhibit from good old MIZZOU was at this museum. It was absolutely fabulous and I loved every second. 

Here's a ton of pictures that I took:

 Just some science stuff.....because I love science and science is cool.
 ONLY MY FAVORITE PICTURE OF THE DAY: IT IS A PERIODIC TABLE. AND ALL THE ELEMENTS ARE ON EACH FLASK. PERFECTION. (I really love chemistry okay)

 These two pictures were part of the Mizzou exhibit. The second one is the slab of glass talked about in the first one. Pretty neat. Go Mizzou!
 Alright so this says Hedwig and Hedwig is the owl in Harry Potter and it's the cup shown and apparently it turned liquid into wine so basically it's magic and Hogwarts must be real.
 Cool chess set. But I don't know how to play chess.
 This looked neat.
 So did this.
 This was hanging from the ceiling and was really pretty.
 Shout out to Chase for pushing me in a wheelchair so I didn't have to walk on crutches through the museum. He's the best.

 Glass flowers. If they weren't glass I would have brought a sunflower back for Alli. Sorry Alli. Thought that counts? 
 This was cool, too.
Chase, Mrs. Barnes and I had a grand old time.

All in all I had an outstanding spring break. Would it have been cool to chill on the beach in Florida in the beautiful weather? Yeah, sure. But how often do you get to try new food, see a canyon, go to an amazing glass museum, spend time with great company, AND really cherish some of God's beautiful scenery? I'm happy I chose to go to Pennsylvania. 

Oh, and it would have been pretty hard to use crutches in the sand.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the article. The PA Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places. If you come back, definitely rent a bike and pedal the bike trail at the bottom!

    Letchworth State Park in western NY has another great canyon. Worth a visit. It's about 90 minutes from Buffalo.

    Since you're from Centralia, you should definitely go see Centralia, PA. The town has been mostly abandoned due to a huge underground mine fire. It's a bizarre and eerie sight.

    ReplyDelete